Attention ALL Hong Kong residents who don’t recycle. Which is most of you. Yeah, yeah, we have heard every excuse. ‘There are no recycling bins in my building.’ ‘I don’t have time.’ ‘I don’t know how to recycle.’ Well here is the fool-proof solution: sign up to HK Recycles, a brand new social enterprise that
For just HKD20 a week, HK Recycles will collect your recycling and well, get it recycled! Here are the facts:
- –> it’s cheap – as their website cleverly notes: less than a cup of coffee
- –> it’s convenient – they pick up once a week at your doorstep
- –> they ensure that the waste actually gets recycled- they have a no landfill policy
- –> they do private households as well as offices, shops, basically any entity with waste to recycle
- –> they provide you with a starter kit which includes 4 compact recycle bags for easy sorting
- –> they do glass! Until now, there has been no viable glass recycling programme in Hong Kong
- –> they employ people from marginalized communities and pay them above market rate
No Excuses! Sign Up NOW: HK Recycles
When it comes to the green grocery shopping scene in Hong Kong, we eco-warriors are getting more and more spoiled. New stores are opening all over the place and we all benefit from a larger variety of green choices, not to mention better pricing as competition intensifies.
Of all the eco stores in town, Just Green stole Green Queen’s Heart long ago. It is literally her happy place; she often gets lost in the Soho location for hours and that is saying something in a 500 sq.ft shop.
Founder Helen Sung’s aim is to be the Green 7-11 and as far as Green Queen is concerned, she and her burgeoning team are well on her way. The clean and bright store is well-laid out and has everything you need to live a healthy, green life. From groceries to dairy and meat to cleaning products to bath & body potions to snack to supplements, there is nothing you can’t find. Just Green has a variety of brands and options that boggles the mind. They are always experimenting with new products and companies from all over the globe, even if it means stocking small quantities. The other big plus is that the staff knows every product like the bag of their hand. Green Queen has tested them- they are a knowledgeable bunch.
While Green Queen would happily take home the entire inventory, here are a few of her favorite Just Green things:
- Ecolution PFOA Free Hydrolon Cookware: eco-friendly pots and pans with water-based non stick solution. Ecolution is safe, reasonably priced and offers a lifetime warranty. Just Green can order the models they don’t stock for you- just take your pick on the Ecolution website.
- Woolly Pocket Living Wall Pocket Planter: Want to grow your own tomatoes and chillies? Hang a Woolly on your kitchen wall. Made from recycled plastic bottles, the planter allows you to cultivate flowers, herbs, lettuces, peppers and much more. It even boasts a built-in irrigation system so no mess to worry about.
- Freshly Grown Wheatgrass: a firm favourite amongst health gurus everywhere, no one can dispute wheatgrass’s detoxing superpowers. Buy it fresh at Just Green- they also stock the special juicer you will need to extract the green nectar.
-Just Green offers what is Hong Kong’s best selection of chemical-free, unprocessed power/energy bars with dozens of brands such as Raw Revolution, Pro Bar, Go Raw, GNU foods, Nakd and a host of dietary requirement options be it gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan, raw or dairy-free.
-They stock a great selection of dairy-free milks such as quinoa, cashew, hazelnut, coconut and chocolate coconut as well as many nut butters like sunflower butter, cashew new butter, almond butter, hazelnut butter and pumpkin seed butter.
-They have some great chocolate bars such as the raw superfood line Ombar, and the gourmet organic Dagoba; they also have various raw cacao powders, nibs and butters for those who want to make their own chocolate. For those sensitive to cacao, Just Green has Carob options.
-For the athletes among us, the store has several protein powder options that are whey and soy free. To complete the protein smoothie option, they sell every superfood powder you can imagine from maca to pomegranate.
Just Green is now in 3 current locations: Lamma Island; St Francis Street, Wanchai and Graham Street, Soho with more outlets planned in the near future.
NB: Just Green had no knowledge of this post prior to its publishing. Green Queen strongly values her editorial integrity and all the site’s posts reflect her personal opinions and assessments.
Organic mooncakes are not easy to find- only 1 place stocks them: Just Green! Green Dot Dot do have some low-sugar and vegetarian/vegan options but only Just Green is selling the real deal: organic and dairy-free. They are made by from ingredients sourced at Just Green itself.
This Lantern Festival, eat clean! Visit Just Green!
Organic Moon Cake – Original
Ingredients: Organic Soy Pulp, Organic Flour, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Coconut Milk, Organic Chi Shang Glutinous Rice Powder, Syrup, Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar, Alkaline Water, Egg
(Contains soy beans and egg; need to be refrigerated)
Eco-pack: $80 Gift-pack: $85
Lantern set (4 pcs): Original Price $438 Coupon Price $328
Organic Moon Cake – Mixed Nuts
Ingredients: Organic Soy Pulp, Organic Flour, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Coconut Milk, Organic Chi Shang Glutinous Rice Powder, Syrup, Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar, Organic Pine Nuts, Organic Brazil Nuts, Alkaline Water, Egg
(Contains soy beans, tree nuts and egg; need to be refrigerated)
Eco-pack: $83 Gift-pack: $88
Lantern set (4 pcs): Original Price $449 Coupon Price $338
*Lantern sets are available as coupon before 12 Sept 2012. Customers with coupons are entitled to pick up 1 lantern set per each coupon at appointed collecting points from 12 Sept to 29 Sept 2012.
While salivating during her weekly Tastespotting browsing sesh, Green Queen discovered this excellent post at The Yummy Life on how to make your own Natural Room Scents. What a great idea! So easy and quick to put together and a luscious, colourful touch to any home! GQ LOVES!
NB: This post was pre-scheduled for Sep 5 2012 but it looks like Just Green beat me to it- they also shared this post on their Facebook page on Sep 4 2012! Oh well, green minds think alike.