It might feel surreal, especially given the strange year we are living through, but we are only a weeks away from this year’s Mid-Autumn Festival! Despite all the hardships brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, celebrating this very special holiday will definitely lighten up and elevate our moods. And what could be better for our mood and gut than a yummy vegan mooncake?
This year, we looked for every single 100% vegan mooncake offering we could find in Hong Kong in order to create the super handy guide below. Check them out and try them with family for a delicious and cruetly-free Mid-Autumn Festival celebration.
The Cakery Vegan Mooncake Box Set
Famous for its range of healthy baked goodies, The Cakery has just introduced its newest range of vegan, gluten-free, and food-colouring-free mooncakes, packed with superfood ingredients to get your mouth watering ahead of the Mid Autumn festivities. We love the elegant wooden box packaging wrapped with a beautiful blue and orange coloured scarf – definitely our pick on the list for a special gift. If you fancy trying flavours like Black Sesame, Red Date & Mixed Nuts, Oolong & Peach, and Lemon & Yuzu, hurry up- order by August 31 to get 15% off (HKD 363.8 instead of 428 HKD).
Available for purchase at The Cakery shops (Central and Causeway Bay) or online and can be delivered or picked up from 1st September to 1st October.
Patisserie La Lune Vegan Custard Mooncakes
One of Hong Kong’s favourite bakeries, Patisserie La Lune has created a Vegan Custard Mooncake offering made with vegan butter that retains the taste and aroma of their popular dairy & egg custard mooncakes. Each gift box includes 4 mooncakes and they currently have an early bird discount (HKD 188 instead of HKD 218 ).
Available for purchase online and can be delivered to most areas in Hong Kong (outlying islands, some areas in Sai Kung, HKCEC are excluded).
Green Common Mixed Flavour Vegan Mooncakes
Looking for an easy, trusted choice? Green Common is always here with the yummiest and healthiest options, not to mention beautiful packaging. If you are a GC member, you can get a voucher for a box of 6 mooncakes and get a 40% discount – that’s HKD 288 instead of HKD 328, available at all locations (except Sogo counters). What are the flavours? Figs with Pistachio & Oat (3 pieces) and Mixed Nuts with Blueberry & Purple Sweet Potato (3 pieces) – can there be a better excuse for guilt-free indulging?
Available for purchase at all Green Common locations. Voucher is redeemable from 2019/9/7 to 2019/9/26 (all locations). From 2019/9/27 to 2019/10/4 available at Nan Fung, Harbour City, Tseung Kwan O & Tuen Mun Branches.
Infiniti C Vegan & GF Snowy Mooncakess
A homemade mooncake with black chocolate and pink salted caramel? Yes please! Try it for the early bird price of HKD 368 (until 21 August), just make sure you order by private message on the Infiniti C By October Facebook page.
Available for pre-order on Facebook- limited edition & limited quantity.
Miss Lee’s Debut Collection of Vegan Mooncakes
One of Central’s new veggie restaurant faves, Miss Lee, has just introduced a collection of vegan mooncakes. Known for its vegan-friendly Chinese cuisine in super ‘grammable settings, Miss Lee is launching mooncake sets in two flavours – Purple Sweet Potato and Ginger, and Hawthorn and Dark Plum – nestled in a delightfully whimsical box showcasing the transition of lunar phases. Price is HKD 238 per box for two.
Greenwoods Raw Vegan & GF Mooncakes
Miss Greenwoods Raw Cafe already? Don’t despair- you can still place an order for their delicious raw vegan and gluten-free mooncakes made from 90% organic ingredients. The Greenwoods mooncake box come with 4 mooncakes, one in each of flavour: Five Figs, Mango Passion Fruit (this year’s special), Mellow Matcha and Sweet Orange Chocolate – all for HKD 198 per box (discounted from the regular price of HKD 288).
Available to purchase online – each box comes with 10 complimentary facial masks thanks to a special collab with Trust Me Care. All orders must be collected at their TST location (Cheung Lee Commercial Building, 25 Kimberley Road).
Suphia’s Functional Foods Raw Vegan Mooncakes
Another winning box of superfood-packed raw vegan mooncakes, this time from bar maker extraordinaire Suphia Ng of Suphia’s Functional Foods. Each box of 4 mooncakes (HKD 360) features one of each of the following flavours: Black Sesame, Mixed Berry, Match and Mixed Nuts & Seeds. All the mooncakes are additionally gluten-free, soy-free and refined sugar-free.
Foodcraft’s Vegan Milk GF Chocolate Mooncakes
These gluten-free and 100% vegan mooncake bits are the stuff of chocolate lover dreams! Each Foodcraft Mooncake Box comes with 12 milk chocolate mooncakes (HKD 348) with a GF cookie base and organic raspberries. You get six plain milk and six matcha milk (all plant-based of course). Also bonus: the packaging is eco-friendly- the mooncakes come in a stylish reusable furoshiki cloth.
Available for purchase from Foodcraft’s website.
Conspiracy Chocolate’s Vegan Dark Chocolate Mooncakes
Local artisanal cacao bean to bar maker Conspiracy Chocolate is now using their choco talents to make mooncakes and they are 100% vegan. The box of four mooncakes (HKD 388), or ‘decadent bouchées” as the founders calls them, are made from handcrafted 75% dark chocolate and feature a sesame-based vegan ganache filled with an intense raspberry centre elevated with a touch of fine red wine (yes, the wine is also vegan, we checked), safflower petals and Sichuan pepper.
Available for pre-order now on Conspiracy’s website, delivery between September 28 and October 1 2020.
August 27 Update: Our vegan intern Kandice found a whole range of additional (!!) vegan mooncake options (seriously, how amazing is the plant-based food scene in Hong Kong though!) so we are adding them below:
- Soulistic Vegan Custard Mooncakes: everything in this mooncake including the vegan butter, soy crust, custard filling and the chickpea ‘salty egg yolk’, is homemade! Plus, the mooncakes have a low GI index with less added sugar than the typical ones and zero artificial additives-HKD 228 for a box of 4, order here.
- Amazing Kitchen Mooncakes: the mixed flavour set features 4 vegan flavours: matcha tangerine, mango bean paste, black sesame and red bean, though they also offer traditional flavours in other box sets such as assorted nuts and lotus seed paste- HKD 188 to 215 per box of 8, order here.
- Vegelink Mid-Autumn Delights: Enjoy their vegan mooncakes in flavours ranging from traditional white lotus paste and red bean paste to durian, tiramisu, and golden pandan, there’s even a sugar-free option that uses isomalt as a substitute sweetener- HKD183 to 270 per box of 4, order here.
- Veggiesmart Vegan Mini Mooncakes: A more Middle-Eastern take on mooncake flavours such as Malaysia betong ginger & chickpea paste and Middle East date palm & walnut, you can choose from single or mixed flavours sets- HKD 159-170 for a box of 4, order here.
- Homemade Veggie Lava Vegan Mooncakes: These come in three vegan flavours: matcha, earl grey, and custard and are all homemade without any artificial ingredients- HKD 158 for a box of 6, order here.
- Life Balance Vegan Mooncakes Gif Box: The box contains 8 mooncakes in 4 different flavours: truffle, mocha lava, rose petals and tangerine. They are gluten-free too! Order here.
Lead image courtesy of The Cakery.