6 Mins Read
Our global coffee addiction is nowhere near abating with the artisanal coffee movement growing strong but milk continues to be an issue. Lots of us can’t take dairy, and for years soy milk stepped in to save the day. In fact, soy has become such a given as a latte milk option that it hardly bears mentioning anymore. But loads of people avoid soy, especially the GMO kind. So where can you get a great coffee drink made with other plant-based milks, like coconut or almond, you ask? We have the complete best coffee shop list right here. Hong Kong is becoming more vegan-friendly by the day. On a quest to give you more dairy alternatives, we present the many coffee shops below, all of which offer non-dairy, non-soy solutions for your next latte. May your coffee be hot and your eyeliner be even.
Special Note: all of the below spots and chains are listed on our free Green Queen iOS app, so if you have a iPhone, make sure to download it and you can locate the nearest non-dairy, non-soy latte no matter where you are.
This post is regularly updated to reflect new additions so please check here often!
Leave it to this gluten-free gem to offer a haven for non-dairy, non-soy caffeine devotees. Sweetpea Cafe offers almond milk from local maker Nut & Co and homemade raw cashew milk as a dairy substitute from their delicious drink menu.
Pret A Manger
A dairy-free take on a standard classic, everyone’s favorite British fast-casual chain, Pret A Manger, now serves up organic espresso base with Rude Health‘s organic coconut milk (a blend of coconut and rice milk).
Various locations throughout the city. For a full list of Pret locations in Hong Kong, click here.
HOME – Eat To Live (Closed)
July 2017: Home EAT To Live has closed down.
HOME – Eat To Live, one of our favorite plant-based eateries, currently offers almond milk with any of their organic coffees. They also have a coconut water cold-brew concoction called a Coco Cold-Brew that is super hydrating if you want something not so “milky.”
Grassroots Pantry offers up their own homemade plant-based milks at their vast veggie-forward venue on Hollywood Road. Non-dairy coffee accompaniments options include coconut milk and creamy sunflower hemp milk (for a boost of zinc, selenium, and omega-3!).
MANA! Fast Slow Food & MANA Cafe
You can get almond milk and oat milk with any of MANA!‘s organic fair trade Honduran Arabica coffee drinks or you can take vegan coffee to the next level and try any one of their four signature lattes with raw cacao butter (the Koko or Loko) or coconut oil (the Mono or Monkey, which include banana and raw cacao).
3 Hong Kong Island locations, click here for addresses.
STEAM Cafe & Studio
This charming artisan coffee shop in Sheung Wan makes a fabulous coconut latte that has been the ideal dairy-free coffee option for us many times. For coffee lovers who are lactose intolerant but still enjoy milk, STEAM Cafe also offers Australian brand Harvey Fresh lactose-free milk.
Little Cove Espresso
A delightful neighborhood cafe in Sai Kung town, Little Cove Espresso has various coconut and almond milk options for NT residents looking for a non-dairy caffeine fix.
No longer just a juicery, Genie‘s menu now includes a pretty rad coffee section, all of which are non-dairy and non-soy caffeine derivatives. They have three yummy cold-brew coffee options as well as hot vegan coffees made with almond milk and chocolate hazelnut milk (!). You can also add-in plenty of healthy extras like chia spice, peppermint oil, honey, cold-pressed turmeric or cacao sprinkles.
BONUS: Genie is decaf-friendly.
Genie ifc flagship, Shop 2096B, 8 Finance Street, Central. For more information, click here.
Green Common (Multiple Outlets)
Green Common stocks the entire line of Califia Farms, the US-based natural, non-GMO plant-based milk and coffee drinks in their vegan grocery shops’ cold fridges. Try the OG almond milk or toasted coconut almond milk when you order a latte at one of their 2 cafes (Alexandra House in Central & Harbour City in TST) or just grab one of Califia’s cold brews with come pre-mixed with creamy plant-based mylks.
Cafe Locations: Green Common Central (Shop B2, Basement 1, Alexandra House) and Green Common Tsim Sha Tsui (Shop OT G61, G/F, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City) also Mongkok, Tseung Kwan O, Sheung Wan & Wan Chai. For full list, click here.
The Coffee Academics
With nine locations throughout the city, The Coffee Academics is a seriously convenient spot to hit if you are after a plant-based latte and you are avoiding soy. The hipster chain offers almond milk on any of their globally sourced, locally roasted, espresso-based specialty coffee drinks.
Various locations throughout the city. For a full list of TCA locations in Hong Kong, click here.
Additional non-dairy, non-soy serving coffee shops around Hong Kong:
- SpiceBox Organics in Mid-Levels & Kennedy Town offer almond milk, cashew milk and coconut milk with their coffee drinks.
- The Elephas in Sai Ying Pun offers almond milk lattes.
- Knead in Sheung Wan offers almond milk with their coffee drinks.
- Elixir in Causeway Bay offers almond milk and oat milk with their coffee drinks.
- LN Fortunate Coffee in Sai Ying Pun offers almond milk with their coffee drinks.
- OHM in Sheung Wan offers almond milk and cashew milk with their coffee drinks.
- Nodi in Central offers almond milk with their coffee drinks.
- Starbucks Reserva in Pacific Place serves almond milk.
- Cafe Revol in Jordan serves almond milk.
- Le Petit Salon in Causeway Bay offers rice milk.
- Filter’s Lane in Mid-Levels offers oat milk.
- Brew Note Coffee Roaster in North Point offers oat milk.
- Nutsy in Quarry Bay offers almond milk.
- Why 50 in Sheung Wan offers almond milk.
- Kaffeine in Sheung Wan offers almond milk.
- Mum Veggie Cafe in Wong Chuk Hang offers almond milk.
- Pacific Coffee selected outlets offer Oatly oat milk.
- Le Pain Quotidien offers almond milk.
- The Cupping Room offers oat milk at all locations.
- Hemingways in Discovery Bay offers almond milk.
- Athletic Juice & Espresso Bar in Wan Chai offers dairy-free milk.
- All Fuel locations offer almond milk.
- Winston’s Coffee serves Oatly oat milk.
Images courtesy of Pexels (lead), Sweetpea Cafe, HOME Eat To Live, Grassroots Pantry, MANA! Fast Slow Food, STEAM Cafe, Little Cove Espresso, Genie Juicery, and The Coffee Academics.