2 Mins Read
Grocery stores full of cranberries mean the holiday season is upon us- there’s something so festive about these juicy jewels that gets us feeling all Christmassy. But boring old cranberry jelly felt like a letdown so we added some of our Green Queen pizzazz and concocted this cranberry relish recipe- the pineapple adds some real zing and gives it a tropical feel- not to mention lots of juiciness. This versatile relish will accompany turkey as easily as ham- and it also works as a cheese plate accoutrement, which is how we chose to serve it. And come January, it is the perfect condiment for any and all sandwiches and salads. If you want to show your friends some homemade love, whip them up a jar for the perfect hipster Christmas pressie.
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup pineapple, soft parts only, chopped
- juice of 1 or 1.5 orange, depending on juiciness
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped and reserved
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 5 cloves
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked pepper
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground ginger spice
- your favourite cheeses, crackers and dried fruits for serving
1. Add all ingredients in a small pot over medium heat with lid on and bring to a boil- watch out for the spit from the berries bursting.
2. Turn the heat to low and allow to simmer for 25 minutes without the lid on. Stir regularly.
3. You will know it is done when the consistency is jam-like.
4. Discard cinnamon stick and vanilla bean.
5. Cool the relish on the counter and store in a sterilised jar.
Serve as part of your assembled cheese platter and don’t forget to have yourself a Merry Christmas!