4 Mins Read
We all could do with being more environmentally responsible. These simple zero-waste bathroom swaps can help.
Have you seen the stats about our global plastic waste crisis? It’s terrifying. So below, we share bathroom swaps to make. Every single product in our roundup is:
- VEGAN: no animals will be harmed for my beauty needs (*note the below products are vegan, though a couple of the shops below do sell items that are not vegan)
- LOCALLY MADE OR LOCALLY AVAILABLE: now’s the time to put your money where your heart is and support HONG KONG businesses, ditch Amazon.
- LOW WASTE: no plastic or single-use packaging.
- TOXIN-FREE: most commercial beauty products are actually no good for you, filled with toxic ingredients you should be avoiding- all the below are as ‘clean-label’ as we could find.
- PLANET FORWARD: ingredients that don’t cost the Earth or damage wildlife.
- WOMEN-OWNED: all the companies on this list have female founders and creators because that’s who we want to champion! (Also, women make over 85% of all household purchases worldwide, so wouldn’t women know best what families need?)
1. Swap Your Soap
Soap Yummy creates the most delicious-looking soaps around (in fact, when we first saw the soaps we thought they were real doughnuts!). This collection is charmingly dubbed ‘Wake Up in New York’ because the scents and ingredients used are a take on a typical Big Apple brekkie: bagels or doughnuts and coffee. Ocean-friendly, plastic-free and available to suit different skin types, these soaps are as gentle on the Earth as on your skin- they also contain at least 70% of high-quality plant-based oil (plus water, ly and essential oils) to nourish and hydrate and the coffee ones have tiny ground beans so you can get a good scrub.
Get it on Soap Yummy’s Qraftie shop for HK$75
2. Swap Your Body Lotion
Coconit Matter’s luscious, creamy, moisturising body butter is like a warm towel wrapped around your skin- you only need a little cuz it’s so packed with goodness and the ingredient label foregoes petroleum derivatives, silicone, parabens, phthalates, fragrance, and alchohol. The butter is also hypoallergenic, and if you check the reviews online you will see those with sensitive skin love it (especially those with eczema). Thanks to the steel metal tin, it’s also low-waste and easy to carry around.
Get it on Coconut Matter’s website for HK$202
3. Swap Your Deodorant
ZeroYet100 is Hong Kong’s original natural and plastic-free deodorant stick and every time we see their pink and colored paper tubes we get excited! All the sticks are aluminum-free and parabens-free and contain ingredients like moisturising coconut oil, cocoa seed butter, and castor seed oil and absorbents like diatomaceous earth and arrowroot powder. These deos are tried and tested by everyone on our team and we can’t say enough good things- they 100% help your pits stay dry and odour-free.
Get it on ZeroYet100 website for HK$148
4. Swap Your Shampoo
Einnoc’s Shampoo Bar offers zero waste vegan-friendly shampoo handmade with gentle ingredients- they are soap-free (no sticky residue) and made from organic coconut and olive oil ingredients. They contain natural butters and oils, and will clean and condition without feeling heavy- no SLS, palm oil or wasteful plastic packaging. And it smells heavenly.
Shop Einnoc Shampoo Bar’s for HK$85
5. Swap Your Sunscreen
Soaper’s Delight offers tinted broad spectrum (UVA+UVB) SPF 30 sunblock sticks that contain zinc and titanium oxide for full protection that comes in a biodegradable paper stick. They are vegan, coral-reef safe (don’t forget to protect marine wildlife when you buy sunscreen) and free of nasties like mineral oils or preservatives. It’s also safe for little faces and ideal for daily use.
Get it on Soaper’s Delight’s website for HK$150
Lead image Karolina Grabowska via Pexels