5 Reasons Why The Plant-Based Revolution Is Actually Happening In Asia
The US and Europe get all the love in the headlines when it comes to the future of plant-based foods but from where we’re sitting, the real vegan revolution is happening in Asia. Below, we share our top five reasons why.
1. Silicon Valley Food Tech CEOs Wish They Had Launched in Asia First
JUST EGG CEO Josh Tetrick is launching manufacturing facility in Asia and says if he could do everything all over again, he would launch in Asia: “If we were starting the business from scratch, we’d probably start in Asia,” he told Food Navigator Asia in February 2018. In fact JUST chose Hong Kong as the company’s first launch market outside of the US and ahead of cities like New York and Los Angeles back in January. Green Queen covered the debut of the revolutionary mung bean egg scramble replacement in detail here. JUST is not the only US based plant tech company to choose Hong Kong and Asia as their launch market: Beyond Meat launched their wildly successful beef burger alternative Beyond Burger patties back in April 2017, and introduced the product to Taiwan this month; Impossible Foods chose the city as its first international market this past April to showcase their plant burger that bleeds, followed by a Macau launch this past July; and UK pizza chain Pizza Express created Asia’s first vegan cheese pizza at their Sai Ying Pun store earlier this year.
2. Vegan Tuna Company Ocean Hugger Foods To Debut Vegan Tuna ‘Ahimi’ in South East Asian Supermarkets Very Soon3.
3. Follow The Money: Asian Investors Are Getting Ready To Go Long On Plant-Based Protein
4. Worlds’s First Vegan Minced Pork Omnipork Birthed in Hong Kong
5. China Vegetarians Will Be The World’s Largest Market of Vegan Products
Images courtesy of Little Bao x Impossible Foods (lead), Ocean Hugger Foods and Right Treat (Omnipork).