3 Mins Read
Creamy Nut Butter Hot Choc
Ok so Hong Kong is in the middle of a very hot and sweaty summer, but for some reason, we still love a cup of warm cocoa sometimes. Maybe it’s the excessive air-conditioning that’s blowing in our faces everywhere…
This rich and creamy hot chocolate recipe is a breeze to make. Serve it in a large mug to enjoy the heady and warming aroma and get the senses activated. The hot chocolate will be extremely hot due to its creamy rich texture, so it’s best to let your mug cool for a few minutes.
If you don’t already know, cacao is a superfood. So in addition to feeling warm and cosy, your body is receiving a dose of healthful and invigorating benefits full of dietary fibre, iron, magnesium and a rich supply of antioxidants. You definitely need quality cacao powder for this recipe so don’t skimp there.
Another nutrient dense wholefood we used is Peruvian hormone balancing maca powder. It’s rich in vitamins B, C & E; can be a great mood stabilizer; combats fatigue and increases stamina; it can also assist in repairing skin blemishes and conditions. With the addition of Manuka honey for its immune boosting properties and coconut milk, which is packed full of healthy fats, this hot chocolate is a superfood powerhouse.
Prep Time: 2 mins | Cook Time: 5 mins | Serves 2
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- 1 cup almond, cashew or macadamia nut milk
- 2 tbsp cacao powder, sifted
- 2 tbsp nut butter, we used almond
- 2 tsp Manuka honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder
- 1 tsp maca powder
- pinch of cinnamon
- seed, cacao nibs, shaved coconut topping mix, to serve (optional)
- Put a small pot on medium heat and pour in the coconut and nut milks, honey, nut butter, vanilla and cinnamon.
- As the mixture heats up, sieve the cacao powder into the pan and stir with a whisk until well combined. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat.
- Finally, add in the maca powder and stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture in mugs and top with topping mix, if using.