3 Mins Read
We love chia seed puddings- raw, refined-sugar-free, decadent and filled with superfood goodness, they are such a treat! They also happen to be one of the easiest breakfast, dessert and snack recipe around. You can totally customize them too- add the milk of your choice (nut/rice/oat/coconut), your favorite sweetener (maple syrup, honey, coconut nectar) and whatever toppings take your fancy. Our recipe is vegan but feel free to adapt depending on your requirements.
Though tiny in size, chia seeds are supercharged when it comes to nutrients- they are full of plant protein (twice the amount found in most grains) that is easily digested by your body while ringing in very low on the calorie meter. They also offer five times more calcium than milk, are a great source of omega 3 fats and are loaded with fibre. Any vegan fitness bunnies out there? Make sure to include chia seeds in your diet regularly. They are perfect as a post workout pick-me-up!
We couldn’t make up our mind on whether to call this out as a breakfast recipe or a dessert one. In the end, we picked breakfast- what’s more indulgent than a chocolate pudding first thing in the morning? Feel free to enjoy it any time of the day though- it makes a great snack too.
Prep Time: 5 mins | Chill Time: 6 hours | Serves 3 to 4
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp rice malt syrup or liquid sweetener of your choice
- ½ tsp raw vanilla bean powder or seeds from ½ fresh vanilla pod or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk
- a pinch of ground sea salt or any other high mineral salt
- ¼ cup raw chia seeds
- optional for serving: desiccated coconut, cacao nibs, raspberries, pistachios
- Sieve cacao powder in a bowl. Add syrup, vanilla, salt and coconut milk.
- Whisk ingredients vigorously to combine making sure cacao powder is thoroughly mixed through without any lumps.
- Add chia seeds to the mixture and stir until well combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least six hours.
- Fill four glass tumblers, ceramic bowls or mini mason jars (lids off) with the mixture
- Add a layer of coconut milk
- Top with desiccated coconut, cacao nibs, pistachios and/or raspberries