Be gone box of cereal with your ridiculous amounts of sugar! Be gone highly processed grains! Be gone additives and preservatives! Today we share with you an addictive homemade almond granola perfect for breakfast, snacking and even post dinner parfaits. In fact, we are snacking on these crispy morsels as we type this! The best thing about this versatile granola is that you know it’s healthy because you made it!
It can be gluten-free (if you use GF oats), it is refined-sugar free, vegan and packed with nutrients! It contains oat grains for a ferocious fibre hit, nuts for protein power, seeds jam-packed with vitamins and minerals, coconut as an energy booster and then there’s the wrinkly red superfood goji berries ready to fill your bodies with antioxidants. With all these benefits in one serving, your body will be nourished for the long haul. Oh, and you won’t even believe the incredible aroma that will flow through your kitchen while it’s baking! Did we mention it’s incredibly easy to make too? Win, win, win! Did we mention this is the perfect accompaniment to our perfect homemade yoghurt recipe!
Prep Time | 10 mins
Cook Time | 35 mins
Makes | 28 servings of approximately 1/4 cup each
- 2 cup oats (we use GF but this is up to you)
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup raw walnuts (or other choice of nut, pecans are a great alternative)
- 4 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 4 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp maple syrup (raw coconut nectar also works, as does brown rice syrup)
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp sea salt (or Himalayan pink salt)
- 1 cup goji berries
- 1 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 150C.
2. Combine oats and nuts in a bowl.
3. Heat coconut oil, maple syrup, almond butter, vanilla, spices and salt in a saucepan.
4. While the mixture is simmering, keep stirring until everything is well combined.
5. Remove the pan from heat and pour the sauce mixture over the nuts and oats. Mix everything together with a wooden spoon or silicon spatula. Make sure you get in there and ensure every bit is covered with the sauce.
6. Pour blended granola into a baking dish and spread it out evenly, ensuring the surface is flat.
7. Bake for about 30 – 35 minutes; stir the granola around the 15 and 25-minute mark to ensure that all the bits are thoroughly toasted and golden. Keep a close eye on the last five to ten minutes to ensure the granola doesn’t burn.
8. Remove from the oven, stir and let the granola cool in the baking dish.
9. Once cooled, combine it with the dried fruits.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks (though it would never last that long in our house!)
- Enjoy it for breakfast with almond milk for that triple almond nutritional whammy.
- Wow your dinner guests: with a post-repas parfait by layering yoghurt, granola, and chopped fruit in a wine or martini glass.
- Nibble on it as a snack whilst on the go or sitting at your work desk for that lil’ pick me up. Guaranteed to make your colleagues a little envious!