Healthy Paleo Golden Rough Sweet Treats – 100% Guilt-Free Nostalgia
3 Mins Read
We don’t have much of a sweet tooth here at Green Queen but we do have our craving days. On such occasions, we like to rustle up something quick, easy and healthy.
As kiddies, we were gaga for Nestle’s Golden Rough, a bite sized treat full of desiccated coconut laced with chocolate. If you’re a chocophile and/or a lover of coconut like we are, then this is definitely a treat for you. Seeing as we’re fiends for the stuff, we gave it a tri-fecta of coconut flavours by adding coconut oil and creamed coconut as well as the coconut flakes. If we had had coconut sugar in the pantry, we would have thrown that in too (feel free to do so instead of the maple syrup)!
We’re really proud of this recipe because it really does taste just like a Golden Rough but without all the added sugars and preservatives and we devised it in mere minutes. But what you’ll appreciate most is that there’s no cooking or baking involved PLUS the ingredients are all gluten free, raw, vegan, paleo and refined sugar-free.
Prep Time | 10 mins
Chilling Time | 30 mins
Makes | 7 or 8 cups/pieces
- 2 tbsp almond meal/almond flour
- 4 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder- both carob or cocoa (beans have been roasted) can be substituted
- 2 tbs organic virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp creamed coconut- you can also use coconut cream (creamed coconut is ground & dehydrated mature coconut meat, coconut cream is the liquid squeezed from fresh mature coconut meat)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (add an extra tablespoon if you have a sweeter tooth)
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Line a muffin holder with 7 paper liners. Alternatively, use a silicon muffin tray.
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Spoon a tablespoon of the mixture into each muffin holder.
- Tap the tray against your workbench multiple times to level the mixture.
- Freeze for 30 minutes at least or until ready to serve.
Enjoy with fresh strawberries, a handful of almonds or a hot cup of tea and reminisce on simpler times…