Can you believe it’s less than a month until the New Year? 2014 just flew by! Luckily, we have Christmas to look forward to first. Christmas is a time for celebration with family and friends, a time to take stock and give thanks and best of all, a time to eat! While most of us fret about the mains and the sides, our over-indulged sweet tooth requires that dessert be prepped and planned in advance. The wet markets are dotted with these luscious rounds of deliciousness and that’s why we’ve chosen to make cherry the star of the show for our Christmas dessert- these beautiful ruby red fruits aren’t around long but they are a welcome addition to the fruit scene and a great alternative to the ubiquitous cranberry.
Our homemade cherry and coconut tofu custard is not only healthy, gluten free, vegan and paleo, it will have you and your guests gagging for more! Even though it’s quick to make, though don’t get caught rushing on Christmas day and make these babies the night before. They can chill in the fridge for up to 36 hours ahead.
Prep Time | 10 mins
Chilling Time | 30 mins
Ingredients – Makes 8 Servings
- 2 x 340 grams firm silken tofu, roughly sliced
- ½ cup creamed coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup cherries, pitted
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped and reserved
- 1/8 tsp or a pinch of nutmeg, freshly grated
- 4 cherries
- icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- For the cherry jam, combine cherries, sugar, juice vanilla bean and seeds then spices in a small pot over medium-high heat.
- Once sugar has melted, lower heat and allow simmering stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes. Refrigerate until cool, 15 – 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and blitz until smooth, scraping the sides as needed.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of the cherry jam in each martini or wine glass. Layer with 2-3 tablespoons of custard on top of the jam then pop a cherry on top. Refrigerate until required. Sprinkle with icing sugar, if using.
- Serve and be merry with friends and family.